Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"DR. ABC" and "WATCH"


            Finally, I have found an article that proves itself to be most helpful when tutoring an ESL student. David Mosher Davin Granroth, and Troy Hicks’ article “Creating a common ground with ESL writers” explains a system of using the letters in “WATCH.”
            While reading this article, I immediately was drawn back into 8th grade, when I learned CPR and had to memorize the term “DR. ABC.”  The term “DR. ABC” stands for D- Danger (make sure that you and the unconscious person are safe from danger), R- Response (check to see if they respond when you tap them or call their name), A- Airway (open up their airway by tilting their chin back), B- Breathing (check to see if they are breathing, if not, begin CPR), and C- Circulation (check for pulse, and continue to do CPR). 
            Here is valid evidence that a simple word like “DR. ABC” or “WATCH” can go an incredible long way when put to use.  Not only will it stay better in memory, but it will be better to remember in times of concern or trouble.  If I were to see a friend of mine hurt and possibly unable to breathe, my mind would fall completely blank; I wouldn’t know exactly what do to.  But with “DR. ABC,” I am able to step-by-step remember what to do and think clearly.  Wouldn’t you want that during a first ESL meeting?
            “WATCH” is similar—what would we want to think of if an ESL student were struggling and unable to understand anything?  I would definitely become nervous, and probably mess up my words or give bad advice for the sake that I wasn’t quite sure how to proceed. 
            But if I were to know “WATCH,” I would immediately think: “Oh yes—W- talk about the writer, A- talk about the audience and the assignment, T- talk about the task, C- make sure communication flows easily and without force, and H- always help the student.  Especially in the first few sessions with an ESL tutor, I can imagine how helpful this word would be.  I can truly appreciate the authors’ opinion that: “Being WATCHful will help to establish the trust, respect, and empathy necessary for any “helping relationship” (6).
            I have never helped with an ESL student in the writing center, but I have been an ESL tutor for staff members on Richmond’s campus.  Twice a week, I help these men learn English—and I can tell you: I wish I had had “WATCH,” or some form like it before my first session.  Not to say that my first session was horrible, but I was nervous— I wish I had had some sort of device like this. 
            I can personally enforce the importance of learning the student’s background; in my first ESL tutoring session, my student and I only talked of his background, where he came from, and how he came to Richmond—I needed to know his skill level before I could move from there.  The same goes from an ESL writer; you cannot attack their essay before learning the background behind it.  Even more so, by establishing a friendly space, you rid of the “uneasiness between the consultant and the client” (2). 
            The “C” in “WATCH,” however, seems the hardest to me.  With each ESL student comes different barriers.  I’m afraid that only time will allow a tutor to master the meeting with an ESL student.  However, until then, we have the luxury of remembering only five letters if suddenly our mind goes blank during a meeting!

4 comments:

  1. I think the "C" in WATCH is definitely one of the most difficult steps to follow. COmmunicating easily and without fear or restraint with someone you do not know very well and whose first language is not your own can be very difficult. Like you, however, I have found that it is still completely possible. In my opinion, I think that establishing a layer of trust is one of the most important things you can do when working with ESL students. In my experiences, I have found that ESL students are more afraid of making a mistake and embarrassing themselves in front of you than an English speaking student. Keeping this in mind, I try to do exactly what you did, and find out about their home, where they came from and find something that we both share an interest in. By doing so, I find that you don't run the risk of a student being so nervous that they pretend they understand your suggestions and comments when they really are struggling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one of the most difficult aspects of consulting for me is prioritizing what I need to address in the session and making sure I don't leave out anything I want to discuss. And even though I haven't tutored an ESL student in the writer center, I'm sure I would be twice as nervous and forget how to approach the meeting. Therefore, I think an acronym like this one would be an invaluable tool for me. Many writing consultants could benefit by having it as a safeguard for those moments when, as you say, their minds just go blank. While more experience may make these meetings easier in the future, I know that a system like this is just the thing I need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the analogy you make here, I think it really proves your point. Any little trick that tutors can use is valuable because there are times when we may be at a loss and it can be uncomfortable. This acronym might be helpful for keeping the session moving and avoiding uncomfortable and unproductive moments. It could be especially helpful to have tools for each specific kind of writer so they are easier to recall. Although I still do not believe in assuming writers belong in some of the categories that exist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "C" in WATCH will come with "P" for practice.

    You'll discover heuristics that work for various students and you'll end up trying most of them, given enough time.

    ReplyDelete